We are all creative beings, whether we know it or not. With every choice we make, we are creating our life experiences. Creativity only happens in the present moment, and it all begins where you are right now with your awareness. One cannot play music unless they learn to hear the nuances of sound. One cannot draw until they learn to see. One cannot dance until they become aware of their body in the physical space. A designer, engineer or architect cannot design until they become aware of the problem to solve. One cannot write until they learn to hear the words flowing in their mind. While these are all ways to express creativity, the truth is, everything we do is an act of creativity. Now that you know you’re a creative being, what’s stopping you? Is it the dreaded creative block?
Tackling the Creative Block
You have often heard the phrase, “creative block”. Using this puts your lack of creativity on something outside of yourself. It makes you a victim. It’s been used so much that every creative endeavor has their own term for it — “artist’s block”, “writer’s block”, “designer’s block”. Now it’s not only blaming something out there, but also it’s something associated with how you identify yourself. It’s just something that we have as artists, writers, and designers. There is nothing we can do about it. This is so far from the truth. These are all copouts and they are blaming something out there for your lack of creativity at this moment. They are all blocks, but who put them there? Who put up the wall that is keeping you from creating? You did. The block is within you, and once this is acknowledged, you can break free from the so-called block and open yourself up to a myriad of creative projects.
The key to breaking free is to come back to this moment, and it all starts with awareness. When you feel stuck or blocked, become aware of your thoughts. Are you fearful for the future, perhaps on what the end result of your project will be? Are you somewhere else thinking of a past moment? If you are sad, upset, or anxious, then you are not in the present moment. Now that you are aware of this, take steps to get back to the present moment. You are a powerful, creative being because you have a choice to either stay in this stuck place or break yourself free. Here’s how to do it.
Tools to Open Yourself to Limitless Creativity
- Go for a walk and take in all the colors and sounds around you.
- Draw what you see in front of you. A contour line drawing where you keep your pen or pencil on the page and your eyes on the subject matter really helps you focus on what is right in front of you. Do not concern yourself with how this will turn out. It is simply a step to regain your focus in this moment.
- Close your eyes and become aware of all the sounds around you. You’ll be surprised how many sounds there are that you don’t notice until you do this exercise — the cars rustling in the distance, the fan running in the background, the florescent lights humming.
- Spend time with your cat or dog. They are great at reminding us to stay in this moment.
- Get in touch with nature by leaning up against a tree. Imagine your feet being rooted in the soil, and the creative energy flowing through you like water and energy flow through the tree.
- Get moving. Dance it out, practice yoga, or do some gentle stretches. Bring your awareness to your body and what you are currently feeling.
- Meditate. Find a comfortable seat, focus on your breath and stay still for several minutes. Meditating is a great way to reset your mind when it wanders to past and future thoughts.
After completing one of these steps, go back to whatever creative endeavor you are taking on with more clarity and peace. You will be amazed at how simple it was and how ideas begin to flow through you. You stepped out of the victim role and made a choice to come back to a joyful, creative place, which can only be in the present moment.
You are a creative, powerful being with limitless creativity. Now that know this, nothing can stop you from taking on any project that comes your way.